Eurosonic Noorderslag (ESNS) is the European Music Platform. With a proven track record for helping new acts break into the international music scene.
By night, during two showcase festivals (Eurosonic and Noorderslag), musical talent has the chance to present itself to an international audience of music lovers and professionals. Eurosonic is the stepping stone for European acts, taking place in the city center of Groningen. Noorderslag presents the best Dutch music and takes place in concert venue De Oosterpoort in Groningen. ESNS has been responsible for kick-starting the careers of European acts like Ásgeir, Aurora, Bastille, Dotan, Ibeyi, James Blake, Jett Rebel, Hozier, Milky Chance, Royal Blood, Seinabo Sey and Vök.
By day an international music conference takes place, the key exchange and networking platform for European music. Selling out each year the ESNS Conference attracts over 4000 delegates, including over 400 international festivals. It presents showcases by more than 300 artists and a conference programme featuring 150 panels, keynote speakers, interviews, workshops, dinners, pitches, parties and meetings on the latest developments in the international music, media, production and interactive industry (2015).
Next to the conference there is the European Production Innovation Conference (EPIC). EPIC is entirely focused on innovation at festivals and venues, and offers three days of discussions, presentations of products, alongside new ideas and how to implement them at festivals, concerts, venues, and in the production of events. One representative of the non-Dutch acts has the right to be a delegate at the conference, which also gives you access to EPIC and all the other festival showcases in the night time.
A range of national and international awards are presented during ESNS to highlight success within the music industry.
* EBBA: European Border Breakers Awards (EBBA) are about breaking down borders and recognising emerging European rock, pop and dance artists who achieved success in countries other than their own. 10 European artists receive an EBBA during a spectacular TV show presented by BBC legend Jools Holland.
* Popprijs / The Pop Award : A prize for the artist who has made a major contribution to Dutch pop music in the past year. The Pop Prize is an initiative of BV Pop and is presented by Buma Cultuur.
* European Festival Awards: Established in co-operation with Festival Awards Ltd, Yourope (the European Festival Association) and ESNS, Festival Awards Europe is the only event solely dedicated to recognising the contributions and achievements of the event organisers and performing artists that generate billions of Euros for local economies and brighten up the summer for tens of millions of festival-goers each year.
* Buma Music meets Tech Award: Buma Music meets Tech offers a variety of start-ups the opportunity to present themselves and to showcase what they have to offer. The initiative that, according to the expert jury, offers the greatest added value for users, fans or artists will be presented with the Buma Music meets Tech Award.
* IJzeren Podiumdieren: The awards were awarded at ESNS for the first time in 2012. The VNPF has been presenting the IJzeren Podiumdieren (Iron Venue and Festival Animals) for Dutch festivals and venues in the categories of best CEO, best programmer, best stage, best marketeer and best festival on an annual basis since 1997.
* Pop Media Prijs / Pop Media Award: The Pop Media Award is for the entire oeuvre of a pop music journalist, and in particular their achievements in the past year. The Pop Media Award is presented by Dutch Hogeschool InHolland.
* De Veer: A prize for a person within the Dutch music industry that has made an outstanding contribution for the national music product.
European Talent Exchange Programme
Together with the 100 main music festivals in Europe, 25 European public radio stations from the EBU and with support of the international music press, we help ESNS artists to cross borders in Europe and build European and international careers.
Since 2003 Eurosonic Noorderslag has organized the European Talent Exchange Programme (ETEP). Since the start of the ETEP programme in 2003 a total of 3091 shows by 1082 European artists from 31 countries were presented at 100 ETEP festivals (2003 – 2016).
Official numbers (2018)
Total number of visitors: 40,288
Conference visitors: 4,092
Number of venues Eurosonic: 52
Number of venues Noorderslag: 10
Media & journalists: 479
EBU radio stations: 37
International festivals: 420
ETEP festivals: 103
Eurosonic Noorderslag 2019: 16 t/m 19 January
Eurosonic Noorderslag 2020: 15 t/m 18 January